Monday, July 13, 2026

On a Knot in My Throat When I Remembered That Time I Wanted to Die


It came, without warning.

An earthquake, it's 

seismic breath, hurling

lava into the landscape

of my being. I felt it's fire—


galloping through my 

throat, and down my belly.

An infernal beast, clawing 

the air out of me. Never free.


It has been a while, since it scorched 

the inside of my soul. Yet a hole, 


Is all that remains.


Where my heart once beat. 

It still burns me, with 

it's intimate heat. Knocking—


ever so softly,  every 

once in a while, to whisper 

it's accursed chant into my ear. 


And I fear—


I will never be free. And though I flee,

Running through this forest of me—


I feel it's tremors still.

And I know, I will—


Always feel 

the knot that remains, 

lodged in my throat. 

And I, barely afloat... 


despite myself, 

am reminded of 

that time I wanted to die.


I feel its tremors still.


Anirban K. Baishya (July 14, 2026)

No comments: